Wednesday, April 25, 2012

It's Long and Slender On My Hands

     So I had the chance to utilize video recording on my Canon EOS 60D in Suwon.  And pushing the limits of my Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lens with it, I'm getting really tempted to invest for another lens.  Yes, I got the gear bug.  But I didn't realize it yet.  The videos on my previous blog shows a lot of problems I'm having with this kit lens.  First, it has focusing issues.  Then it can't really cope up with lesser light.  When the focusing is having a hard time, it's noisy... probably partial fault of the lens on this one.  Then the reach.  If I'm going to be this shy every time there's an event, I desperately need more reach.

     So I researched on some of the most convenient lenses.  Out of all of them (and believe me, I spent months comparing reviews and balancing them all out) I found myself debating between Canon 100-400mm L, and Sigma 50-500mm (OS or non OS still debatable).  If I was asked this day, I still wouldn't know which "to buy."  But the more important question is: Am I willing to spend the money?

     Came the time when I saw an ad on Craigslist selling some old lenses.  They're Contax/Yashica mounts but what got me is its brand: Carl Zeiss.  I was initially attracted at the 28-80mm one.  But in time, I ended up buying Carl Zeiss Vario Sonnar T* 80-200mm f/4.  This is after days of research and asking around.  And when it comes to the first reason why I wanted another lens (video purposes), the manual zoom, manual focus, and the action being very smooth, makes it more preferable to me than the kit lens.  I get to save a lot of money, I get another lens that's all manual, and I get to brag it's a Zeiss... that latter part is just for those who don't know much but the name.



     To this day, it's one of my most used lenses.  But to this day, I have not had any chance to use it for video.  I simply enjoy using it taking stills.  I think I will be using this lens for a long time.  I feel comfortable and much more into photography, now that I use manual lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment