Monday, June 4, 2012

Coming to the Dark Side

     No no no.  It's not about dark theme, nor creepy pictures.  I'm talking about moving to the dark side.  The ones I used to avoid.  I'm talking about Photoshop.  No, not the verb.  I'm talking about using the software instead of just sticking to the free stuff.  Yes, I've always used the free stuff.


     The free stuff were okay.  They've done me great service.  And I still want to continue using them.  I'm talking about GIMP, which is an open-source program that's actually almost as strong as the biggest competitor: Photoshop.  I'm also talking about Canon's Digital Photo Professional.  It's a part of the EOS utility software.  It's still good and does just what I want and need.  It was included free when I bought the camera.  And another competitor of the most popular one: Lightroom.

     So if these were enough for me, why switch sides?  And if I don't really like those overrated products, why the change of heart?  Well, for one, it's communication.  It's always hard to relate to fellow beginners if all the software they know are the popular ones.  If I have an idea, I can't explain it to them since the language between GIMP and Photoshop is quite different.  If I'm asked a step-by-step process, they'd certainly be confused especially that the interface of both software are different.

     I'm actually having a hard time transitioning.  I read some people try to use Photoshop and they hate it.  Some Photoshop users give GIMP a go and they're confused.  Now I understand why.  The process is a little different.  Sure, the application is still the same.  You make layers, you mask, you dodge, you draw, they're all the same.  But when it comes to keyboard shortcut keys, that's already a whole new ball game.  When it comes to interface, it's ridiculously opposite.  Finding a brush, looking how to resize the brush, making a layer mask, a new layer, or simply exporting the file.  It's just too much.  So yeah, I understand the frustrations between users.  But, since I already have the software, I might as well learn how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment